Hands-on technology & design effort – join our team of innovators (6-month commitment)
By YIP Board
YIP is expanding a project team that investigates and tests ways to use technology (and other cool “stuff”) to get more people, more engaged.
You’d be applying for a seat on this a six-month project team (25-35 hours over the six months, or approximately one hour each week). That time will be spent:
- learning about the design problem and human-centered design process
- interviewing our target audience and other stakeholders/experts about the design problem
- brainstorming and prototyping solutions to the design problem
- looking at metrics and feedback to improve the prototypes
- collaborating to fund, produce, and launch the refined solution
There’s no compensation for this project, however we are still doing applications and keeping the team size limited to 8 members for a few reasons. We want a diverse team, but we also need a mixture of roles. It’s also important that folks who attend the first meeting also attend the last meeting. Please don’t let this be a barrier to your application, we need people of all backgrounds and skillsets.
This is the second time YIP has offered an opportunity of this kind. Around the time of the mayoral primary, we designed and printed up 1,500 bar coasters, paired them with a digital experience, and used them to highlight the drink tax (that makes up a small part of the budget for our schools). Check out the story Technical.ly did about the project. If you really want to dive into what we’re trying to do, check out our Knight News Challenge application.
Please email Mike Thomas with any questions or suggestions.